Sunday, November 16, 2008

Reflections..

Looking back at my first post, I mentioned the choice of communication channels as one of the many factors important in effective communication. I still believe the importance in choosing the right channel. However I have realized, upon completing the course, that the other factors such as active listening is equally important. It is the combination of all the various factors that contributes to being an effective communicator.

Having said all that, one lesson I learnt is to know and be clear about the message you want to bring across. This is what I have learnt from doing up the research project/report. We had quite a rough start when we had to choose our topic and carry out the survey. Writing up the report was quite laborious and tiring and it felt as if there was too much to cover within such a short time. As we started our preparation for the oral presentation, I begin to realize how simple things could be if they were put in perspective. If we were to be focused and clear of the message we intend to bring across, concepts would be much simpler and easier to bring across.

This module not only presented me the chance to work in a team to produce a report, do an oral presentation, but also, a chance to work individually in other assignments. Although many of us have experience in working in a team as well as an individual, the back to back assignments of different nature bring me yet another dimension of experience. Not only do I learn how to work with others as well as alone, the varied nature of assignments such as the resume and mock interview taught how diversified communication can be. I always felt that communication is only confined to oral and written skills. After the course, I learnt how communication involves much more, such as, language skills, self-awareness and listening skills amongst the many others.

I believe communication is not only confined to a particular situation at any one particular time. Communication takes place almost in every part of our daily lives, be it talking, writing or listening, we are actually participating in some form of communication. Even as I’m writing my reflections (still a form of communication), I do it hoping that others can see what I’ve learnt and reflect it upon on their own learning as well (not only for the grades =p). I wish for the same as I read about others’ post and learn from their lessons.

Lastly, thank you all and Ms Kim for making this course more enjoyable (amidst the heavy work schedule). I wish all of us the best for the exams and the future and wish Ms Kim all the best in your future endeavors.

3 comments:

Matthew said...

Hi You Fei,
This course really did teach us a great deal about the various aspects of communication. I feel that it provided us with the skills and first hand experiences of communication in the individual aspects. For example, verbal communication, written communication, job application letters and oral presentations. I believe one of the reasons why the overall workload of this module may feel heavy is because the variety and usage of communication skills are simply too diverse. Therefore, in order to let us have a feel of each of the individual aspects and actually practise our communication skills in each aspect took up considerable time and effort. However, I feel it was all worth it as it has enriched my my life. All the best for you revision!

Zhi Lian said...

Hi You Fei, I believe that this module is one of the very rare that is able to impart us with knowledge that is applicable and important in one's life. Communication skills are abilities that we need so as to be able to interact with other people, thus this course has really brought us deeper into the world of effective communication.

Learning the principles of effective communication at the start of the course is to allow us to establish the basic foundation first before moving into the application sectors such as writing, oral and job search. Like what you said, we are actually utilizing what we have learnt in the course when we are doing all the various assignements.Through all the different tasks, I think all of us have better grasp and appreciation of the things taught and also to better relate them to our lives in general.

Hence, I feel that although this course may be quite taxing, it has definitely improved on our communication skills so that at the end of the day all of us hopefully can be a better and more effective communicator.

Think everyone's hard effort has paid off nicely judging from the satisfied and contented expressions during the last class. A round of applause for everyone for the good job done.

grace kim said...

Thank you, You Fei, for your detailed and well thought-out reflection.

I especially liked what you said about being clear and focused so that our message is clearly brought across to the recipient. How very true! Sometimes, we ourselves are not clear about the message that we want to convey or how we can present the message clearly and succintly across and that's why there is miscommunication.

Thanks for all your effort and all the best in all you do!